Monday, January 25, 2016
Pride and Prejudice; Elizabeth (Lizzy) Bennet and Family 01/25/2016
After having read Pride and Prejudice, I feel that while I can understand the reasons for the family pushing for their daughters to get married I feel that it was overly ridiculous. Mrs Bennet has no calm, I understand having five daughters during that time period is stressful but at the same time it does not feel as though the mother is as concerned about her daughters as much as she is about her own self-image. An example of this is when Lydia runs off with Wickam, and how that would ruin their image and how people would see her and her family. Mr. Bennet while witty and well humored is a horrible husband with no real concern about the things going on around him, he allows his wife to do whatever she pleases but then becomes upset with her actions; he doesn't speak his mind until things are already done. Lydia and Kitty are their mother spot on except all they care about is boys, they were completely boy crazy. Jane and Elizabeth are the only two in the family who care about more than wealth and status, they acknowledge that they do have to marry because they have nothing without their father but they still have their own self-worth. While Jane is shyer than Lizzy they are both equally prideful, the difference between them, however, is that Jane lacks the prejudice that Lizzy has. Lizzy is prejudice even toward her own family and her closest friend Charlotte Lucas, for marrying Mr. Collins. Elizabeth is kind of Prejudice toward anyone who marries for money, she believes that marriage should be done for love and if it is not done for love then it is less than one that is. I see myself agreeing with Elizabeth throughout the whole book, except for the interaction with Wickam. With Wickam, she finds this dark past and she believes him wholeheartedly and does not bother to really question it. When she finally confronts Darcy she does it with the motive of harming and blaming him, instead of trying to confirm the story with him. The only thing she had to really be upset with Mr. Darcy about is how he separated Charles Bingley and Jane Bennet, even though she believed them to be very much in love. I do believe in the saying "Better to ask forgiveness than permission" which to me just means that it's better to do what you want or believe and if and when all goes wrong to just apologize instead of asking just to be turned down, and I think Elizabeth partially lives her life like that, she believed and judged people freely and if she was wrong she simply apologized. She is also very realistic which I relate to 100%, she doesn't fantasize and make things up to be greater than they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment